The Cordish Companies’ Live! Casino & Hotel and the Anne Arundel County Local Development Council Present $18.8 Million in Local Impact and Community Grants for Fiscal Year 2020
Total Funds Disseminated by the LDC over Seven Years Surpasses $130 Million in Support of Anne Arundel County Operational and Capital Programs, Non-Profit Organizations and Community Associations
The Cordish Companies’ Live! Casino & Hotel and the Anne Arundel County Local Development Council (LDC) awarded more than $18.8 million in local impact and community grants to organizations in Anne Arundel County for Fiscal Year 2020. The grant and funding recipients were officially announced at a press conference and ceremony, held today at the Live! Event Center.
This year’s grants bring the total funds generated by Live! Casino & Hotel in support of Anne Arundel County organizations to more than $130 million since the casino opened seven years ago.
Cordish Companies’ Principal Joe Weinberg, Maryland State Senator Pam Beidle, Anne Arundel County Executive Steuart Pittman, and members of the Local Development Council (LDC) presented the grants to recipients including County operational and capital programs, community grants to support human services, community revitalization and beautification, and programs to improve educational outcomes in the County’s schools. The grant awards were recommended by the LDC to the County Executive, who included the recommendations in his FY2020 Budget.
“Since opening the property in 2012, Live! Casino & Hotel and The Cordish Companies continues to stand by our commitment to improve the quality of life for our neighbors and to support the County, area non-profits and the myriad of organizations working tirelessly every day to enhance the lives of people in the Region,” said Weinberg. “We are committed to continuing to support the County in every way and look forward to soon introducing The Hall at Live!, our new Event Center expansion. This 4,000-seat venue will host Anne Arundel County high school and college graduations, as well as other community events, free of charge and for the first time provide a world-class meeting, convention and entertainment venue in Anne Arundel County.”
“We are so grateful to Live! Casino & Hotel and The Cordish Companies for their unwavering and ever-expanding support of organizations and programs that serve Anne Arundel County,” said County Executive Pittman. “Their partnership has impacted so many various nonprofits as well as county departments that protect and serve our citizens. We look forward to what the future brings as we know that the Live! team will be at our side every step of the way.”
“We are so thankful to have Live! Casino & Hotel as our valued partner over the years. Through their support, we have been able to address critical needs and priorities that help so many people across the County, through support of food banks, social services, workforce development, schools, public safety and so much more. We look forward to our continued partnership with the casino and the LDC as we work to continue to improve the lives of County residents,” said Karen McJunkin, LDC Chairperson.
The Local Impact Grant Recipients for Fiscal Year 2020 include:
- Anne Arundel County Fire Department - $5,248,000
- Anne Arundel County Police Department - $3,400,000
- Arundel Community Development Services - Severn Intergenerational Center - $3,000,000
- Anne Arundel Community College - $1,700,000
- BWI Partnership - Community Development Foundation - $1,059,000
- Anne Arundel County Recreation & Parks - $700,750
- Anne Arundel County Library System - $550,000
- Anne Arundel County Department of Public Works - $500,000
- Associated Catholic Charities - Sarah’s House - $500,000
- Community Grants - $400,000
- Meade High School Cyber Initiative / Fort Meade Alliance Foundation - $381,000
- Anne Arundel County Public Schools Meade High Cluster - Council of PTAs - $300,000
- Anne Arundel Workforce Development - $270,000
- YWCA Domestic Violence Center - $250,000
- United Way of Central Maryland - $200,000
- Severn Improvement Association - $100,000
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Annapolis and Anne Arundel County - $45,000
- Baltimore Washington Medical Center - $40,000
- Partners In Care - $40,000
- Administrative Support - $110,000
- FY 2020 Grand Total:$18,793,750
Recipients of the $400,000 in Community Support Grants include the following:
- Annapolis Maritime Museum - $22,397 to implement an Oyster/Bay Education program
- Anne Arundel County Community Action Agency - $12,613 to engage youth in technology
- Assistance League of the Chesapeake - $25,000 to provide uniforms and supplies to students in need
- Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating (CRAB) - $7,140 for Family Sail Sunday and Empowering Military Families
- HOPE for All - $15,000 to turn houses into homes
- IMA of Meade Senior High School - $40,000 to develop a musical opportunities initiative
- Kingdom Kare - $35,000 for mentoring programs
- MacArthur Middle School PTSA - $39,615 to provide Chromebooks in the classroom
- Redbridge Homeowners Assoc. - $9,850 for a fence replacement
- Restoration Community Development Corporation - $39,500 for Gems & Jewels mentoring program
- Ridge Forest Glen Homeowners Assoc. - $33,740 for tree planting and landscaping
- Ridge Forest Homeowners Assoc. - $35,738 for the second phase of tree replacement
- Severn Crest Homeowners Assoc. - $15,000 to implement an erosion abatement engineering study
- Severn Methodist Church - $31,498 for community facility repairs
- STAIR - $16,042 to expand a literacy tutoring program
- The Complete Player Charity -$21,867 to develop a youth business and leadership program
The Local Development Council was established in Anne Arundel County after the opening of Live! Casino & Hotel on June 6, 2012. Appointed by the County Executive, the Local Development Council consists of 15 members to serve and advise the County on recommendations for the distribution and expenditure of revenues raised at Live! Casino & Hotel through local impact grants.
Since its formation in 2012, the LDC has awarded more than $130 Million in grants towards county operational and capital programs, and community grants.
Non-profit organizations and community associations doing work within a three-mile radius of Live! Casino & Hotel are eligible to apply for a FY2021 LDC Community Grant. If interested, please contact Dave Sims at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-222-3236 for an application. Applications for Community Grants will be due on Friday, November 29, 2019.
For more information and to apply for a grant, visit http://www.aacounty.org/LDC.
About Live! Casino & Hotel
Live! Casino & Hotel is one of the largest commercial casinos in the country, located in the Washington DC/Baltimore corridor, just off I-95, Route 100 and the B/W Parkway at Arundel Mills. Open 24/7/365, the property features more than 200 live action table games, including a Poker Room; approximately 4,000 slot machines; two High Limit rooms; and the Orchid Gaming & Smoking Patio. Guests can enjoy AAA Four Diamond rated accommodations, including 310 luxury guest rooms; the Live! Spa; world-class dining, featuring the Zagat-rated #1 steakhouse The Prime Rib®; David’s, featuring global cuisine; Bobby’s Burger Palace, from celebrated chef Bobby Flay; The Cheesecake Factory®; Luk Fu and 8 at Luk Fu, serving authentic sushi and Asian cuisine; Morty’s Deli; Latin cuisine at En Vivo; Phillips® Seafood Express; and Luckies, offering Starbucks coffee, pastries, and Italian gelato; and a sizzling nightlife, including nightly entertainment at Live! Center Stage; the R Bar; and The Lobby Bar at David’s. A 4,000-seat Event Center, opening in two phases, featuring 40,000-square-feet of meeting and banquet space, and a performance venue with a regular lineup of headline entertainment completes the Live! experience. Enjoy secure covered parking with valet service and a free self-park garage with Park Assist® and direct elevator access to the casino floor. The newly-renovated Live! Lofts boutique hotel, located just minutes from the Casino, features 250 guest rooms and suites, and approximately 3,400-square-feet of meeting and banquet space. For reservations, call 443-445-2929, or book online at LiveCasinoHotel.com. Live! Casino & Hotel and Live! Lofts are owned and operated by a company that is affiliated with The Cordish Companies. Call 855-5MD-LIVE (855-563-5483); or visit LiveCasinoHotel.com or LiveCasino.social. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. For employment opportunities, visit www.LiveCasinoHotel.com/jobs.
About The Cordish Companies
The Cordish Companies’ origins date back to 1910 and encompass four generations of privately-held, family ownership. During the past ten decades, The Cordish Companies has grown into a global leader in Commercial Real Estate; Entertainment Districts; Sports-Anchored Developments; Gaming; Hotels; Residential Properties; Restaurants; International Development; Coworking Spaces; and Private Equity. One of the largest and most respected developers in the world, The Cordish Companies has been awarded an unprecedented seven Urban Land Institute Awards for Excellence for public-private developments that are of unique significance to the cities in which they are located. The Cordish Companies has developed and operates highly acclaimed dining, entertainment and hospitality destinations throughout the United States, many falling under The Cordish Companies’ Live! Brand, highly regarded as one of the premier entertainment brands in the country. In gaming, The Cordish Companies has developed among the most successful casino hotel resorts in the world including the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Hollywood, Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Tampa and Live! Casino & Hotel Maryland. Welcoming over 50 million visitors per year, these developments are among the highest profile dining, entertainment, gaming, hotel and sports-anchored destinations in the country. Over the generations, The Cordish Companies has remained true to the family’s core values of quality, entrepreneurial spirit, long-term personal relationships, and integrity. As a testimony to the long-term vision of its family leadership, The Cordish Companies still owns and manages virtually every business it has created. For more information visit www.cordish.com or follow us on Twitter.
“The Cordish Companies,” “The Cordish Company” and “Cordish” are trademarks used under license by independent corporations, legal liability companies and partnerships (“Cordish Entities”). Each Cordish Entity is a separate, single-purpose legal entity that is solely responsible for its obligations and liabilities. No common operations or financial interdependency, and no intermingling of assets or liabilities of the Cordish Entities exists, or should be deemed to exist, as a result of the potential common reference to multiple independent entities operating under the names “Cordish,” “The Cordish Companies” or “The Cordish Company” here or elsewhere.